Ep. 6: Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.)
October 29th, 2020 · 57 mins 51 secs
About this Episode
House Rules Committee Chairman Jim McGovern, a self-described liberal, Democrat from Massachusetts, talks with Article One about getting things done in Congress. Like previous guests, McGovern says the key is to reach across the aisle.
In our wide-ranging discussion, McGovern - who has more than 20 years of lawmaking under his belt - shares stories of prior victories, setbacks and civility. He takes listeners behind-the-curtain to learn how deals are struck and ideas become law.
Shortly after the coronavirus pandemic closed down business in much of the country, McGovern was tasked with figuring out how the House of Representatives could continue operating - holding hearings and casting votes - at a time when travel was perilous for lawmakers. And, he did.
We discuss the success of remote voting, the potential of an economic stimulus measure, the projects McGovern has won for his Worcester-based district and his "hope" that earmark spending will return to Congress.
Our conversation took place in mid-October.
Please take a listen and let me know what you think.
- McGovern sponsored bills — sponsored bills 105-116 congress
- McGovern sponsored bills that passed one chamber
- McGovern sponsored bills that became laws
- McGovern sponsored bills that failed in the House
- McGovern CO-SPONSORED bills that were vetoed
- McGovern CO-SPONSORED bills that became law
- McGovern CO-SPONSORED bills that passed one chamber